The first year for primary school for JCPS begins with students who turn age 5 on or before August 1 for the 2020-21 school year. In accordance with KRS 158.031(6), JCPS has established criteria for early entrance into kindergarten, for students who have mastered early childhood benchmarks before age 5. Students who turn 5 years old between August 2 and October 31 will be eligible to enroll provided that the student meets criteria established by the Jefferson County Board of Education. The deadline to submit the Petition for Early Entrance to Kindergarten is March 7, 2020. After the March 7, 2020 deadline, there will not be any opportunities to petition the district for Early Entrance to kindergarten for the 2020-21 school year.
Criteria for Early Entrance
- Child must be a resident of Jefferson County, Kentucky; and
- Child must turn 5 between August 2 and October 31 of the admission year; and
- Child must meet the qualifications on the BRIGANCE Screening in the three assessment areas: core assessments, self-help, and social-emotional scales.
Early Entrance to Kindergarten Petition Process
- Parents will complete the online application for early entrance to kindergarten.
- Parents will sign up for an assessment date in the online application.
- The student will be assessed by certified JCPS staff.
- Parents will receive email notification of the time and location of the assigned screening approximately one week prior to their assigned screening date.
- Early entrance screenings will occur on Saturday, December 7, February 8, and March 21.
- Applications will not be accepted after March 7, 2020.
- Parents will be notified of their child’s screening results within two weeks of the screening.
A paper application will be completed during the early entrance screening. If the applicant qualifies for Early Entrance to Kindergarten, the paper application will become official when it is submitted online by the Early Childhood Student Assignment Office. If the applicant does not qualify for Early Entrance to Kindergarten, the paper application will be null and void.