The JCPS Communications Department offers a range of services for local and national media:
- Responds to inquiries by providing information, statements, and guidance
- Plans and hosts events and press conferences to announce JCPS news and progress
- Drafts and issues press releases, advisories, public statements, and other coordinated communications efforts
Requesting Media Access to Schools
The Communications Department will take all media requests for access to a school during normal school hours. Reporters can contact the department’s main telephone line at (502) 485-3551.
The department and the school will determine if the request for access is appropriate. All reporters—and all guests—are required to sign in in the school’s main office, wear a guest pass at all times, and comply with all district policies and local and state laws concerning the use of minors in news and broadcasting.
- Reporters must have permission to be on a school campus.
- Reporters are allowed access to students and school activities only at the discretion of the principal and then only with appropriate parental consent.
- Reporters are not allowed in classrooms that are testing.
- Reporters may be allowed in classrooms at the discretion of the principal and teacher.
- Prior parental consent is needed for interviews with students under 18 years of age.
- Large-group shots of students are permitted, but personally identifiable photographs of students without a Photo/Videotape Release Form signed by a parent are not allowed.